Friday, January 18, 2008

What's with the name of the blog??

Ah yes, the rather pretentious sounding title of the blog is me taking the mickey out of the fact that I've managed to get myself a job in a place I have always wanted to visit, and by extension paddle (even us recreational paddlers have dreams too!!), and yet will be living on an ice shelf with a 100 metre drop to the sea, on a good day.... in summer. The alternate route to the sea is by falling into a crevasse - not to be recommended.

When I first announced that I'd accepeted a job as medical officer with the British Antarctic Survey people's responses were fairly clearly delineated. Lots of the medics laughed and said 'my idea of hell but fair dues to ya etc'. All the kayakers went 'amazing, lucky you, totally want your job'......probably because they all, like me, had visions of an amazing paddling experience. I'm learning the realities......ice cliffs, pack ice, strongest winds on the planet, these winds pushing icebergs across pack ice so fast that even a ship on full throttle can't get out of the way. Then there's the leopard seals and orcas who might mistake you for their usual lunchtime snack. So despite the location, the paddling is going to be pretty much non existent. Which I imagine will be breaking my heart on the ship's voyage down and back when I'll be seeing what I'm missing. But you can't have it all and I'm not doing too bad as it is.

More later on the recent trips to New York (hiya Austin!!) and Devon, but the big house move is taking place today so had best get out of bed and get working. Later.......

1 comment:

Harry said...

Suzanna

Come to London and see the wild life. Theres a seal swimming in the Thames today, right outside parliment.Come paddling before you fall off a big ice cube

Hope your well

Harry.

p.s you can crash at my lovely riverside appartment info@thameskayak.co.uk